Fall 2019 Summit
November 16, 2019
Umpqua Community College
To register, click here. The deadline to register is November 6.
To submit a workshop proposal, click here. Workshop proposals accepted until November 8.
To provide emerging college student leaders the opportunity to learn more about leadership and to explore various leadership development topics.
Who Should Attend?
Students involved in campus student organizations and students interested in learning more about leadership are encouraged to attend.
Students don’t have to be in formal student leadership roles or involved in student clubs and organizations; they can also be students in classes who are interested in and would benefit from a one-day leadership experience.
- Learning and Reasoning: Research, other perspectives, reflection and application, systems thinking, analysis, synthesis, evaluation, idea generation, problem solving, decision making.
- Self-Awareness and Development: Self-understanding, personal values, personal contributions, scope of competence, receiving feedback, self-development
- Interpersonal Interactions: Productive relationships, appropriate interaction, helping others, empathy, mentoring, motivation, other’s contributions, empowerment, providing feedback, supervision, collaboration
- Group Dynamics: Organizational behavior, power dynamics, group development, creating change
- Civic Responsibility: Diversity, others’ circumstances, inclusion, social justice, social responsibility, service
- Communication: Verbal and nonverbal communication, listening, writing, facilitation, conflict negotiation, advocating for a point of view
- Strategic Planning: Mission, vision, goals, plan, organization
- Personal Behavior: Initiative, functioning independently, follow-through, responsibility for personal behavior, ethics, responding to ambiguity, responding to change, resiliency, positive attitude, confidence, excellence
The Southern Oregon College Student Leadership Summit was established in 2012 by the student leadership advisors at Umpqua Community College, Southwestern Oregon Community College and Rogue Community College.
The idea was to provide a one-day leadership conference for the student leaders at our three colleges. We wanted something that was convenient, low-cost, would bring our students involved/interested in leadership together and meet the needs of emerging student leaders. Thus, the Southern Oregon College Student Leadership Summit was born!
Today, the Summit is now a part of the Oregon Student Leadership and Activities Professionals (OSLAP) offerings to students interested in developing their skills while networking with students in the state.
Umpqua Community College hosted the first summit in spring 2013, since then, the following colleges have hosted:
- 2013 (fall) - Southwestern Oregon Community College
- 2014 - Rogue Community College
- 2015 - Klamath Community College
- 2016 - Southwestern Oregon Community College
- 2017 - Umpqua Community College (expanded to two days to incorporate the OCCSLA Fall Conference, which was scheduled to take place in September 2017 and was cancelled due to the fires in the Columbia Gorge)
- 2018 - Rogue Community College
- 2019 - Umpqua Community College
Marjan Coester - Contact
Director for Student Engagement